Thread: NF Balk rule
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Ref View Post
Here was the premise for my question. This move was taught to HS players by a local coach and he asked me about it.

RH pitcher. Runner on first, pitcher in the set position. Pitcher picks his rigth (non pivot) foot straight up as he would his left to pitch (about 2 feet off the ground). Some runners, who are not real experienced at the HS level, will go when the knee comes up not realizing which knee it is. Pitcher then brings the foot down behind the rubber and throws to second.

I have a problem with this play, although it is not specifically covered in the rules. Maybe you could stretch them to say that the movement is one that is "associated with his delivery", but is it really since it is the other leg?
He throws to 2nd? Has the runner already taken off? If the runner is still at 1st, you have a balk for throwing to an unoccupied and there being no play. But let's say he steps off in the manner you describe and throws to first. Explain your rationale for a balk call when the DC says the pitcher was simply and properly disengaging from the rubber.