Thread: Pulled foot ?
View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 30, 2002, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Now Mike,

I never advocated " knowlingly sticking to a wrong call" now did I?

What I said was if you had the evidence to make a judgement stick with it. Further, I said if you do not have the evidence to make a judgement on the call, ask for help before you announce a judgement that may be in error.

That is not sticking with a wrong call. That is not making the wrong call in the first place.

I also never advocated letting hubris prevent the umpires from working as a team. I just disagree with the premises that one should allow judgement calls to be routinely reversed on simple plays. I'm not above getting help or even giving up a call if the need arises. (It did this past weekend. R3, I'm in C. 2 outs. Drag bunt charged by F1 and F3, F4 covers 1st, as F3 fields ball I move in and set up for banger at 1st. Large economy size F1 moves directly between my position and 1st just as BR and ball arrive. I glance to PU who has lined up R3's touch of home and the play at 1st. Before I make any call, I ask him "Do you have a call at 1st?" He nods yes and I point to him to make the call. Had he not had a call, I would have called safe and took all the heat on the call from the defensive coach. I would not, and will not, make the call and then put my partner in a position of having to possibly overrule my call and take my heat.)

I stand by my ask before and not after statement. It has stood me well in the past and I expect it will do so in the future. I guess we will just have to disagree on this, Mike.

Roger Greene