View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, let's take a step back.

I thought I was clear that I was simply using the post as a reason ASA acts in the manner they do when choosing to take steps to protect their product.

NO WHERE did I even suggest that an umpire should be limited in their use of the knowledge they gained at their expense. NO WHERE did I suggest that an umpire shouldn't work for more than one association. I have repeatedly stated that I will never tell an umpire that s/he cannot work games of the competing sanctioning bodies. However, I do ask that in exchange for the training, communications and information provided, the umpire give the local association the consideration they would like from the local association.

There is also another issue for umpires that the OP may not have taken into consideration. If a tournament is not sanctioned with the same organization as the umpire and the teams, their insurance is not in effect. Of course, many umpires carry additional insurance that may help cover a multitude of situations, but this is something many umpires sometimes fail to take into consideration. BTW, U-trip is the same as ASA. All teams must be registered and the tournament sanctioned by them for the insurance to kick in.

But again, my post has nothing to do with any umpire here or anywhere else. Just noting part of ASA's deal.