View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

I see both sides of this arguement and don't like any of them!

My comments below are only based on my experience in my area, other areas are compeltely different I am sure.
1) ASA is the only training in my area, the other alphabets really have none, pay your money get your license and go umpire. You can with ASA too, but you have the opportunity to get training, and you don't move up (state tournies, Nationals) until you have gotten training.
2) I see guys jumping to other organizations for the money. "why not go make $30 a game for 1 hr 15 min time limit? I only get 25 a game as ASA and there is no time limit (or 1hr 45min)." I have heard that a number of times, to me as a player why would I want to play in their tournies over ASA if the time limits are truly that different?
3) As a trained ASA umpire you are far better than the untrained folks (again my knowledge of this area). Guys have told me they look like heros compared to the guys that are calling ball around here. I have seen pictures of these umpires, just unprofessional dress, standing with arms folded when umpiring bases, etc. But an ASA guy that cares can go over to the Brand X world and be considered an elite official.
4) People not happy with their progression through ASA ranks. Around here you are evaluated by UIC's that is reviewed and your assignments are increased based on your experience and ability. Some feel they are not elevated to a high enough level, they feel they are better than the assignments they are getting, should have been at 18U gold instead of a 12U, etc. So they go to Brand X where they are just happy to have a warm body, they look darn good compared to someone that has no training so they get the "good" assignments.

Again just the things I have heard from umpires and coaches in this area that play all sorts of brands of softball.

I also agree that anyone should be able to take their training and use it anywhere they want to, Purdue didn't tell me where to go to work when I paid them for my degree, so I bet ASA won't either. BUT I do think that is an issue I paid them for it. I deserve to use it where I want to, the OP (from my understanding) is looking for a hand out, give me a test to give my guys/gals and the answers please. Well IMO that is not right ASA works VERY hard to publish the rule books, and make tests develop training...they will provide all these things to you, if you register (pay) and attend training classes (usually a fee). I see no issue with them asking for $$ to provide you with training, I know I am still paying on student loans where I got training.

Last edited by DaveASA/FED; Mon Oct 06, 2008 at 04:29pm.