View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the vast majority of what Mike has said and have a few thoughts of my own -
- why would a non-sanctioned tournament worry about using ASA rules - or any other rules code for that matter.
-I've paid for the training I've gotten, most from ASA, but some from the high school group in my state and some through other organizations. So I do not feel an obligation to work only ASA games - and with the local ASA commissioner, I try to work for him as little as possible but that's a whole 'nother matter - one of his thought is that loyalty is a 1-way street.

Mike said "Seems to me if teams want to play ASA ball, they should be using ASA-trained umpires." Absolutely, who else could possibly know the ASA way of doing things, let alone ASA's rules.

"And maybe the group in question may have a crew of good umpires, but shouldn't they be registered to work the games they are accepting?" Again, absolutely. I do not think that I'd be willing to work a Brand X game or tournament if I was not registered with Brand X (and my use of Brand X here inludes ASA and all other sanctioning bodies).

Darrell makes a good point with "And therefore supporting an organization that doesnt care enough about umpiring to train its own.They would rather steal ASA trained umpires....and WHY would you work for an organization such as that?" To the best of my knowledge, the other sanctioning bodies I work games for do have some umpire training - I just have not taken their training. The local chapter that I belong to provides umpires for ASA and a couple of other groups. We strive to call ASA games the ASA way and Brand X games the Brand X way.