View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
I just might send a quick email to let the coach know that I kicked a rule. It goes to integrity and I see no harm in it what-so-ever. The key here is a rule was kicked... not a judgement call. The content will be short and to the point with an very short apology for the mistake.

Another approach would be to have a conversation with your chapter president and have them reach out to the coach to explain that you are aware of the mistake and are not happy with it and let them handle it.

Also for the the record... I have had a couple of coaches call/email me after contests to apologize for their behavior and or admit their mistakes in disputes over a rules issue.

There does not have to be a giant chasm between officials and coaches. Where the opportunity exists we can have mutual, civilized and unbiased dialouge.
I understand integrity, i really do, but if you start doing this it can lead to nothing but bad things, i.e., coach tells other coaches (which they do), he is still pissed and starts ripping you (in which case you get mad back at him).
Only put yourself in off-court situations in which their is a win-win, in which most cases there aren't.

Allow administration to handle these situations. If we miss a call and a coach has a sincere complain about it the admin will review the tape and get back to the coach on the play. Part of being a being professional is having professional relationships, which can look like friendships but don't entail all the benefits of a true friendship, meaning you only make contact in a business related setting, and talk and do things with a business-like approach. In my mind this would not entail emailing or calling a coach. I do understand, though, that things are different at the HS level, and even some in the college game.