View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBryan View Post
1. It is NOT true that nearly half of the 48 states have banned the offense. It is 8 states plus D.C., A-11 is Legal in 40 states.
What about the other two? (If Texas is one because they play by NCAA rules, that's fine, but is there another state that does? Or are we leaving Alaska or somebody out?)

Am I the only one who is confused about the "banning" by various states of a particular offensive set that appears to be within the rules of the game? Are they saying, "We just don't want to deal with it, it looks too complicated, la la la la la I am not listening to you la la la la?" And just saying "BOOM. That's it. Case closed. We ban it. Even though it appears there's no real, actual rule strictly against it?"

I know there's nobody really to appeal to, no Supreme Court.

IMHO, if the Fed just closes the loophole on 7-2-5b exception and makes the scrimmage kick formation comply with the other rules on numbering in the interior line (or says it can only be in an obvious punting situation or somesuch), that puts the A11 out of business with a lot less muss and fuss and gives every state something to lean on.

Because as it stands, I can't understand an arbitrary ban by some states and not by others, if the national governing body hasn't (yet) ruled on its illegality.

Maybe it's just me.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.