View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 12:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
This happened in my varsity game last friday.

5 seconds left in the second quarter. A1 rolls out for a pass and throws the ball and B1 hits A1 late and drives him to the ground for Roughing the Passer. My Linejudge has throws a flag Intential (sp?) Grounding. I have no idea what happened to the ball after the quaterback threw it because of the roughing. Then I see another flag fly from my Backjudge and a couple seconds later a second from him. Two USC on the same player, B2. B is to kickoff to start the third quarter.

Our enforcement: Roughing and Grounding offset, end of half, two USC assessed on kickoff 15 yards and half the distance to the 12 1/2 for the kickoff to start the third quarter and the player ejected. And suprisingly, once the situation was explained, neither coach was upset.

How did we do?
Your line judge should have his responsibilities explained to him. IG is *your* flag as the WH and if he felt strongly about it should've come and talked to you about it. Then you would've been able to ask pertinent questions before laundry was on the field.

Two USC on the same player in the same dead ball interval? It's possible, but rare, and I'm not going to pass judgement without knowing what exactly happened. As the WH, I would've been strongly questioning the back judge as to whether that's what really happened, if the ejection was really warranted, etc.

As for the penalty enforcement, I assume you called it RTP but probably wanted to call it a live ball personal foul as a passer only throws legal forward passes. If so, you had a double foul (if you enforced IG) and should've enforced the USC from the succeeding spot and then had an untimed down. A double foul during the last play requires an untimed down in NFHS rules.