View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 11:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Deem Was The Word Of The Day For September 27 On My Word Of The Day Calendar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've always thought of a defensive rebound on a free throw to be change of possession. A had possession on a live ball, B gets the rebound. How is this not a change of possession? B got a legitimate rebound when all players thought the ball was live.
"I've always thought of a defensive rebound on a free throw to be change of possession". I think you're correct.

"All players thought the ball was live". The ball was alive. It was live as soon as the A1 had the ball at his, or her, disposal. I don't think the error changes the status of the ball being live, or dead.

I think the question in this situation becomes, what was the error, and when did the error occur.

Look at the rule again: 2-10-6: If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point at which it was interrupted to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made, in which case play shall resume as after any free-throw attempt(s).

Was the error the official stating "One-and-one", instead of "Two shots"; or was the error not awarding A1 their second merited free throw?

Once you answer that question, then the question becomes, "Has there been a change of team possession since the error was made?" If you deem the error to be the erroneous statement of "One-and-one", then there certainly has been a change in team possession. If, on the other hand, you deem the error to be not awarding A1 their second merited free throw, then there has been no change in team possession, Team B has had team possession the entire time "since the error was made".

Since Nevadaref posted this situation, I'm starting to lean toward the error to be not awarding A1 their second merited free throw, no change in team possession, put the ball back in play with the second free throw, with players on the lane line. I would have gone the other way, change in team possession, put the ball back in play at the point of interruption, after giving A1 his, or her, merited free throw, before Nevadaref's original post started me doing some serious thinking about this situation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sat Sep 27, 2008 at 07:52pm.