Thread: IHSA Officials
View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 27, 2008, 10:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Intent And Purpose ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Study groups, open-book exams, etc. etc. do not test an official's true rules knowledge. The only test that will really do that is a closed-book, time-limited proctored exam. Anything else, you're just kidding yourselves. Just my probably very unpopular opinion.
I agree. The purpose of our local procedure is not to test an official's true rules knowledge. We know that our procedures don't do that. The purpose is to get everyone to start the season by opening up their rulebook, which some haven't opened since March, or earlier, and to get involved with discussions about the rules, especially the new rules.

Why do you assume that your opinion would be very unpopular? I wouldn't mind taking a closed-book, time-limited, proctored exam every year to earn the right, and privilege, of officiating interscholastic basketball games. It would certainly make me more knowledgeable of the rules. After twenty-seven years, I think I have a pretty good handle on the rules, but I can always improve (see my recent thread regarding technical-type, technical fouls), and a closed-book, time-limited, proctored exam every year would certainly force me to become more knowledgeable than I am presently, and, perhaps, give me more confidence as an official.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)