Thread: IHSA Officials
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I realize this is going to tick you off, but the NCAA has an online test and it is encouraged to go over the test with other officials. Not only that I have heard Hank Nichols and Dave Yeast (Baseball Coordinator) openly advocate taking the exam with other officials in the room or at the computer. The NCAA has a similar testing process without as many questions and if I remember no time limit.

Actually it is encouraged by the IHSA to get help if needed (especially in football) because a lot of issues in football were crew decisions. This actually makes the test a little easier than previously where you could not get help on the test at all while taking the test (other than open book). To get to the highest level (Certified), you now can take an open book test, where before it was closed. That sounds a little easier than when I was taking the test.

I know you throw out the term "cheating" all the time. It is only cheating when you are violating a specific rule disallowing very specific practices. If you ask me the process is a lot easier than it used to be.

Peace
I sit down with a senior official and go over it. It helps me understand. He gives examples.. its great. I feel more prepared too IMO.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.