Thread: Larry Poncino
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

I read on the net Crawford is having back trouble and Hohn had previous back problems. I have not seen Montague lately, so unless he is off because of a mask shot, I would assume he is out with either knee or back problems. Now would probably be a good time for surgery, if needed, so he would be back in plenty of time for next Spring. He is not eligible for the WS but he may be missing out on a DS or LCS.

Hirschbeck, Carlson, Poncino and Randazzo have had neck surgery related to shots to the mask. Curwin Danley had the mask shot earlier this year and got another one in a game the other night but stayed in after a short delay the paper said. Hopefully Danley can continue. Now, just like with Bonin in 2001, Poncino is having to retire.

The new disability policy is not as good as when Bonin was injured under the old contract (thanks to Richie Phillips).

I would think most umps will try and work next season and then see what type of contract Hirshbeck can negotiate with MLB starting in 2010 (including a retirement package). This may determine the number of openings, and who knows, with his recent injury, maybe even Hirschbeck will retire if the right package can be negotiated. I would imagine there is some magic number like 70 (65-75) that totals years of service and age to receive the maximum pension. Seems like years of service was always 20? in the formula and lot's of MLBU would total 20 + 50 after next year. Let's see what happens.

Last edited by tballump; Fri Sep 26, 2008 at 03:34am.