View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 12:34pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I'd like to put together a presentation for our refs on criteria for when a technical foul is warranted and make the game better (and when it isn't and other actions will help). While I realize that it is an art that some refs will never learn, there must be some words I can express to try to help these guys out.

Things like, "only call a T when you think it will make the game better" seem like cliches, but I do think that they might make the lightbulb go on for a few of these guys. Can you others kick in some insightful words of wisdom for me?}

Thanks in advance,

Z
There are a few automatics--getting personal, my wife, my mother, my kids, loud swearing, throwing clipboards, being overly demonstrative, calling you a cheater, walking on the court, yelling at you outside the box, etc.

Some other things that must be considered--is the coach trying to embarrass you? Will he drop something that has been discussed? Is he distracting you? Has the coach been warned? These issues need to be dealt with.

1. If a coach has been warned and continues--get him.
2. If a coach won't drop something--warn him, if it continues, see #1.
3. If a coach is embarrassing you-if you can tell him to stop and he will, fine. If it is bad enough--get him.

I believe that we must know where the "line in the sand" is and if a coach steps over it, we have to get them. If we don't take care of business, we have no credibility with them. Most coaches (with a clue) know that they deserve T's when they get them and they know when they deserve it and don't get it. We don't need to look for T's, but if the situation warrants it, we have to call it--really it is no different than any other call. If the paramenters for the call are met, we have to blow.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019