View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Steve's assessment of the mechanic. However, I do not agree with this comment:
Quote:
more experienced group of higher level umpires
I've seen some "college" umpires that aren't worth a $hit, period. I've seen HS umpires that are even worse. I've also seen HS umpires that could do great at the collegiate level. I've seen ASA umpires that could do great at both the HS & NCAA level.

Like in baseball, the fact that someone has attained a certain level does not make them the best/more experience or higher than the next guy/gal. It simply means they are the best/more experienced available.

Quote:
And, this argument is no better than sniping about a philosophical difference to publicly publish on the internet a (NCAA) rulebook that no one would plagiarize (there is no one out there that I have ever met or heard of that wants to use college specific rules that isn't an affiliated member of NCAA already) versus not making internet available another (ASA) rulebook that would be (and is) regularly plagiarized or otherwise stolen without permission by literally thousands of teams, leagues, and tournaments, that simply play "ASA Rules", yet choose to not register their team, league, or tournament, unless forced to do so. Clearly different business models, clearly each has good reasons for doing it how they do it. Both are right, IMO, for doing it their way.
And there is one thing that some do not realize. ASA considers the rule book part of the package teams and umpires get for their registration.

The NCAA does not have an umpire's association and I doubt they register the coach/team as an independent entity. They are a conglomerate of educational institutions banded together for the benefit and coordination of athletic programs.

Yes, other organizations offer their rules on line and they have every right to do so. I would think it all depends on each organization's philosophy and priority. And that is each organization's right and privilege.