View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Yeah...but what about the one you were talking, the one in my last post about "solaris linux crontab" crap???
Well, cron is a daemon that runs in the background on any Unix-base OS (such as Mac OS X, solaris, Linux, BSD, etc.), and all it does is kick off jobs that you set on a "crontab." The crontab says when exactly certain commands or scripts should be run, and on what schedule (such as "Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 12 PM").

So basically, I've set my web server at home (which happens to be a Mac server, as well as the server running the slow-pitch umpiring website I've mentioned before) to be the machine that periodically runs this script every day at noon. I'm going to have to modify the script a little to account for the fact that Time Warner probably wouldn't want me sending 20 emails of the same content to different recipients in under 5 seconds (spam? what's that?).

The script won't work on a Windows machine, as Windows doesn't use the same commands that Unix flavors do. It'd have about the same reaction to my script as Skahtboi did to my previous post (ie., "wtf?").

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.