Thread: moving screens
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 12:41pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
We know it is not in the rule, but the coaches are not going to get past the POE's outlines in the state meetings.

I think for th younger guys on this board, it would be unwise to go down that path with a coach.

Even for veteran guys, I think it is slippery to say to a coach "where in the rule is it"?

Obviously the fed uses the term in its interpretations (which take precedence over rule), so we we have to be even more careful in how we explain things.
How is the use of a commonly understood term like "moving screen" different than one like "over the back?" While I understand that "moving screen" appears in the books in places and "over the back" does not, why is it bad to use these common terms? People understand what they are and what we are talking about. IMO, when we choose to get into semantic discusions, i.e. "there is no such thing as over the back..." we appear combative and unapproachable. I understand that terminology is important, but I have never understood why this is such a big deal.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019