View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Why wouldn't you? To me it's all about good communication. And if you can put a player, captain, coach, scorekeeper, partner, line judge, etc. at ease, and get them to feel like they can actually come to you with questions, why wouldn't you? If that means letting them call you by first name, what's wrong with that?

I will admit that I'm a pretty informal kind of guy by nature. And perhaps that colors my thinking on this.
I guess it depends. I know if I called a player by first name, that would display a level of informality that might be misconstrued by other people. Even if I *know* the player personally, her name is "captain" or "12." Normally when captains come to the stand, they don't address me at all. We just cut straight to the topic at hand, so it hasn't really been an issue. If a captain came up to me and addressed me by first name, well, I can't say I'd be entirely comfortable with it. But no, I wouldn't introduce myself as Mr. Madera either.

A coach might refer to me by first name, and I'm pretty loose on that, but I would still call the coach, "Coach," even after having gone through introductions, or even if I've known the coach for years.

Your mileage may vary.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee