Thread: moving screens
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 08:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I see where you are coming from but.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
We know it is not in the rule, but the coaches are not going to get past the POE's outlines in the state meetings.

I think for th younger guys on this board, it would be unwise to go down that path with a coach.

Even for veteran guys, I think it is slippery to say to a coach "where in the rule is it"?

Obviously the fed uses the term in its interpretations (which take precedence over rule), so we we have to be even more careful in how we explain things.
Do you remember what was the POE two years ago? Better yet, do you remember what it was before last year?

Unless the NF changes the language of the rule, we will be right back where we were before 2001-02 POE. And if I am not mistaken, screens are not apart of the POE for this coming season. So a coach trying to say "but it was in last years rulebook," would not be much different than a coach or official refering to rules in past rulebooks that have since changed.

I still feel confident in telling coaches that "it is not illegal because a player moves during a screen." Because as I stated before, most of the time a coach is complaining with little or no contact present. I bet most coaches never look up 4-27 that goes into "displacement" and contact not affecting "normal offensive and defensive movement" as the POE refers to. So a coach can complain all day if they want to, does not mean they are right. Remember these are individuals that still call for "over the backs" and "travels" without understanding which foot the pivot foot is or without knowledge of a jump stop and what they can do after. If you are a rules guy, I really do not see how you could see it any other way.

Just my thoughts.

Peace