Thread: moving screens
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 09:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Very true.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson

Actually Rut, the fed, in all their wisdom, did use the term "moving screen" either in a POE, or some other bulletin ( I forget where it was, I was so floored to see it) we got here in OH. A coach graciously (sp?) shared it with me after a game
Everything you say is true, but where is the terminology in the actual rule?

Under 10-6-3, which talks about what a screener can and cannot do, there is no such terminology. All the information under Article 3 even makes it clear that a screener can move under certain situations and shall not be called for anything. So yes the POE used the term, but they did not back it up with what the rule states. And if when they make a new POE this year and not include screens in it, this terminology will not be there and we will be left with what was there before last year. And according to the actual wording of 10-6-3b and c, you could be stationary or moving in certain situations and be called for a foul depending on "time and distance" of the player being screened.

The term "moving screen" is used often when no or very little contact has occured. Most of the time I hear a coach complaining about a "moving screen" and the screener did not even come close to making any contact or the defender being screened ran around the screen to avoid all contact. I understand what they were trying to say, but I would have said to a coach, "where is the terminology in the actual rule?" I think the writers of the POE did not really examine the rule at all when they decided to use the terminology. Either they need to change the rule by making an "editorial change" or emphisis the actual wording in the rule. The NCAA rulebook uses very similar wording in their rule and they do not use "moving screen" in their terminology at all to constitute a foul.

I am sure there will be folks that will disagree, but I see the NF using that term very inconsistent with their current wording of the rule.

Peace