View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 01:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5
7-2-7 . . . Only one A player may be in motion at the snap and then only if such motion is not toward his opponent’s goal line. Except for the player “under the snapper,” as outlined in Article 3, the player in motion shall be at least 5 yards behind his line of scrimmage at the snap if he started from any position not clearly behind the line and did not establish himself as a back by stopping for at least one full second while no part of his body is breaking the vertical plane through the waistline of his nearest teammate who is on the line of scrimmage.
Working a JV game last night with 3 officials I don't really know. I was the white hat.

Swinging gate try after TD. Right end on the line of scrimmage, alone and wide, before the snap, started shuffling to his left before the snap. It appeared he was on the line of scrimmage. Not my determination to make, obviously. No flag down. Nobody said anything.

But my understanding is that this was not legal motion provided he was on the line as he did not establish himself as a back for a full second before going into motion OR go five yards behind the line during his motion.

I asked the wing what he saw, but he's a new guy who said he never heard of such a thing.

Correct me if I'm missing something. I'm very good with the rules (I know, everyone thinks that of themselves), but this is not something you see every day.