View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-28-181
You need to remember the officials are not there to screw you.
That's a problem that, unfortunately, is tough for us as officials to overcome. There's too much animosity between coaches and officials, in part (but not totally) because of a misunderstanding about what we're trying to do and our motivations.

I've not coached, so I'm not going to try to read a coach's mind or detect his motivations for things, yet, too often, coaches think they know what we're thinking or what our objectives and reasons for doing things are.

Not all take it to the extreme of "they're out to screw us," but I don't believe that as many coaches as we'd like look at us as partners in the educational process (which I believe we all are).

Trust me - we're not in it for the money or the glory and ain't 1% of us going to the NFL, so it's not for that, either.

I don't know what the solution is. Just something that has always struck me out the relationship between coaches and officials (and not just in football).
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.