View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Pete - I respect your opinion, but in this case I have to disagree with you. Umpires sit in a position of authority and along with that authority comes the responsibility to set a good example. If you don't, such as the entertainment antics, then why should anyone listen to you?

I don't have a problem with chatting with players and coaches so long as doing so does not in any way jeapordize the perception of impartiality and absolute authority which is necessary for an umpire to maintain control of the game. I personally chat with coaches before the game if I know both of them, but I am very cognizant of spending the same amount of time with each. Once the game starts, unless there is a ruling discussion, we each take care of our own jobs. The only time I talk to the kids is at the very young levels (up to say age 10) and/or in instructional leagues when I can do a little teaching along with calling the game. Otherwise I just call the game and keep my mouth shut.

Personally, if my kid is playing or I am coaching, I want the umpire thinking about the game, not about the song and dance routine that he is going to do in the third inning to entertain the fans. We are not commentators or entertainers. We are the voice of authority on the field. I believe that we need to act like it. Umpires who don't just make it harder for the rest of us.