View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 10:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
I've only seen Situation #2 (below) two times in 3-1/2 decades. But each time it occurred, I'm not sure the proper call was made in reaction to the situation.

Situation #1) A1 has ball for a throw in. Sensing that the five-second count is about up, he intentionally bounces the ball off the leg of defender B1, intending the ball to go back out of bounds so that a new throw in is rewarded. He does, and it happens just like that. Nothing severe, nothing malicious. Upon the out-of-bounds violation, he is awarded another throw in.
Comment: Nothing illegal here, it seems; or is there? Might he be given a warning for causing delay of the game? But if so, to whom would the resulting throw in be administered? Your response invited.
I do not know where you get the delay of game has anything to do with this issue. That is legal unless you deem something was done to hurt the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
Now, Situation #2) Same scenerio, but this time A1 FIRES A FASTBALL RIGHT INTO THE CROTCH of B1, who is closely but legally defending against the throw in.
Comment: Seems to me there was obvious intended injury here. Would a proper penalty be:
A) an intentional personal foul, since (4-19-3) A1 undertakes something "which neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position", e.g., the ability to play without pain?
B) a technical foul, according to 4-19-5, "An intentional . . . contact foul while the ball is dead...", though said contact is delivered by means of the ball, which doesn't seem quite right.
C) a technical foul for unsporting conduct (4-19-14) for "a non-contact technical foul which consists of unfair, unethical, dishonorable conduct or any behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play"?
D) since injury seemed clearly to be the intent, due to the "fastball" nature of the act, might it be so serious so as to be considered a flagrant foul and subsequent disqualification?

Your response is invited.

Thanx in Advance for Your Insights
Unless you feel a rule is violated, this is legal. Players do this all the time in my experience trying to throw the ball off an opponent to save a violation or to make sure they are not the ones committing a violation. This is why you get paid the big bucks. Without seeing the play, I have no idea if this would be the right call or to just call a violation. Hitting someone simply in the midsection is not alone a reason to call a foul. That very well could have been an accident. I guess the best way you could know that is how did the player that threw the ball react when they realized what they hit?

Peace