View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Rules interpretation, right.

We had a coach who wanted a conference because the umpire wasn't born with eyes in the back of his head and didn't throw a pass interference flag on a quick slant that almost took his head off.

The HC kept telling me I had to go talk to him. I did a great imitation of a referee with his back to the coach. Of course, the coach was so off base, I wouldn't have known where to start with him, so probably best I just didn't pay attention to him.
Rich,

In our association, when a coach requests a coach/referee conference, the end man stops the clock and lets the R know about the request. If the coach is yelling loud enough for the R to hear him, and the end man has not reacted, the R stops the clock. If, once the R gets to the sideline, the coach wants to discuss something other than the possible misapplication/misinterpretation of a rule, the coach/referee conference is immediately over and the R returns to his position. The coach has the remaining time to talk to his team.

Personally, even if the issue is something other than a rule misapplication/misinterpretation, I will stick around and let the coach vent on me a little. Usually, letting him get it out of his system calms him down and makes the rest of the game go smoother. Ignoring him only seems to fan the flames.