View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 12:53pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrozetti
Ouch ! It hurts to even read this. Scrapper, you definitely don't want me as a coach on your match, because if you allow an opponent's back row player to make an illegal back-row attack, I will blow a gasket, and you will be fully deserving of it.
And I'll toss you from the gym faster than you can say "back row attack". And you'll be fully deserving of it.

Quote:
as an official, you're not supposed to "choose to call the faults that you want, and allow other faults because you don't even try and you find it unnecessary."
If you read my post again, you'll notice that I am not "choosing" not to call it. I freely and fully admit that I am not capable of keeping track of the necessary information. It is not a case of seeing the violation but ignoring because I disagree with the rule. I simply don't see it. And I'm afraid that if I put the necessary effort into trying to see it, that I will miss other more obvious calls.

Quote:
1. On the contrary, allowing faults to occur causes serious coach, team and spectator pandemonium and outrage against the officiating crew,
Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!! How many spectators even know what a back row attack is? Let alone, see it when it happens. Again, that's not WHY I'm not calling it. Just pointing out a little over-the-top emotion in your post.

Quote:
2. You severely tarnish the trust given to the officials by the sporting administration and schools/clubs.
Do you think I'm doing the Olympics or something? The NCAA tournament? I'm learning with 7th and 8th graders, for crying out loud. Dial it down a little. You think JV basketball officials get every travel or illegal screen?

Quote:
YOUR lack of desire to enforce the printed rules makes ALL OF US look bad.
What a ridiculous comment. It makes me look bad. It might make my partner look bad. Possibly it makes my local board look bad, if the coach is a real idiot. But how does me not recognizing a back row attack make you or MCBear, or BITS look bad? Come down off the high horse.

Quote:
Where does it end? - Why not allow back-row blockers and Libero blockers?
1) If there's no front-row or back-row, then there is no Libero. 2) Answer your own question. Why not allow back-row blockers or attackers? Why not allow any player on the court to make any play that he or she can? What is the real problem with that?

Quote:
To be fair to both teams, inform them that you will not be looking for illegal back-row attacks because you find it unnecessary. I definitely want to be in the audience at that match.
You need to take a deep breath and re-read my original post.