View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 09, 2008, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
Thought this was odd:

Offensive Conference.
Rule 6.11.2.(new)2 When the catcher requests time to speak to the pitcher, baserunners may not abandon the vicinity of their bases without it being a charged offensive conference. Note: if either team is charged with a conference, baserunners are no longer restricted to the area near their bases.
Rationale: Often the catcher runs out to give the pitcher a short message but because baserunners and base coaches all huddle, they delay the game and get what turns out to be a free conference, since none is charged. Change will help manage the game, and it eliminates the opportunity for a trick play.

Could the pitcher and catcher be dreaming up a "trick play". Why not let the baserunners meet with other baserunners privately? This seems like a stupid rule addition.

I never had a big delay when the catcher went out and talked to pitcher and runners went to the coach. When catcher started back I told OC let's play and they have always gotten back, well before we were all at the plate and ready to go.
As are most of the changes, this rule change is to stop one specific team from executing the trick play they already use.

MS (you call the school) catcher says to PU "I am going to talk to my pitcher, and I am NOT requesting time". Catcher and the rest of the infield go the circle, runners assume time and run off base to talk to coach. LBR violation, first runner off is out.

ASA killed this trick years ago, told umpires they MUST call time to avoid the cheap LBR out. NCAA rules committee doesn't want that answer, so instead, they now tell runners they cannot talk to coach when defense huddles. Anyone surprised by that approach doesn't get the NCAA Rules Committee, that every year creates new rules to stop what someone who has graduated violated consistently (10 second Abbott rule last year, this year pitching lane Mowatt rule).

The Mowatt Rule has limited chance of working if they don't tell BU to help with the call; PU still can't watch the foot land and call pitches effectively.