View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

I said this somewhere else, but the rule does not talk about excessive celebration or says anything about premeditated celebration. The rule only talks about acts that should be considered unsportsmanlike. This is not different in other rules when it is clear that grabbing a facemask is illegal or going high and low on a block (regardless of the typical chop block). This rule clearly says throwing the ball high is illegal and is an unsportsmanlike act along with many other very specific examples of what the committee must consider illegal. The only judgment part of this was how high the ball was thrown. And it is clear this ball was thrown rather high. When the ball comes down and hits you in the head, after you have jumped into the arms of teammates and then you hit the ground, then the ball hits you in the head. That seems pretty high in my book.

For the record when I first saw this play I thought this was not a good judgment on the official’s part. Then when I actually read the rules (not just what ESPN referenced), it was clear to me the officials followed the rule. I think that took a lot of guts and was the right call. It is sad that we just turn the other cheek on obvious violations of the rules.

Peace