View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

How is this fair? Replay Review Colt/Bears

This just didn't seem right to me. During the Colts/Bears game on Sunday night there was a fumble, I believe on a kickoff or punt return. The officials ruled down by contact, although the scrum to recover the ball continued. Da Bears threw the red flag and after further review it was clear that there was a fumble, so the challenge was correct, but because the referees didn't know who recovered the ball, after being ruled down by contact, the Bears were charged a timeout.

So, Da Bears lose a timeout because the referee's didn't get the call right. I understand how they got it wrong and at full speed that's all understandable. But the replay booth told the announcers that the issue was just that they didn't know who recovered the fumble so they couldn't reverse the call. Well, since you can't have a do over, and you can't figure out what happened in the pile, I think an admission of a mistake would be easier to swallow than just telling Lovie that his challenge was no good and he loses a timeout.

Any thoughts?