View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you. There are a lot of people that don't work 3 person a lot. There are others that don't pay attention that the tourney is a 3 person event....granted these are first timers usually....some people "know" it so why should they review? Those are the worst IMO....but I agree everyone should review review review. And not just read the book actually work some games. Find a diamond, state tournamnet, rec league what ever and work 3 person I know hold on....FOR FREE if you have to in order to get that field time. I know personally I study 3 person EVERY time I think I am going to possibly work it, every year prior to state tournies in case I get one of the final 4 games, every year that I get a national. But I am not real comfortable till I spend some time on the diamond so I react when it happens instead of thinking...ok that was to the right fielder going away from me that is PU's ball to outfield I have to button hook in, heck I even work some high school games for free on nights off to get 3 person field time. Again not many do it, and it shows especially the first few days of 3 person at the National.....I feel your pain...not an answer but to know you aren't alone in your frustration!!

And about one of your umpires getting sent home from a national. Not sure why they are yours, if you are UIC, or what, but I know a lot of us take pride in our state's representation at Nationals and feel like they are "ours" so either way you have to let some things go....there is only so much you can do with umpires. They are like kids, you train them watch them grow and teach them what to and not to do...then you set them free to screw it up on their own. I know it looks negative on you and KILLS you, trust me this year there were a few incidents with a couple of guys that I was not proud to be from the same area as them....but you give as much friendly advice as you can...then it is up to the UIC to decide what has to be done.

And like the rest of us you do it because you love it. Some days are good some days are bad....but as long as the enjoyment still outweighs the frustration you, like the rest of us, will keep doing it!!

Last edited by DaveASA/FED; Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 08:55am.