View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 07:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Since the Sox aren't playing tonight (NFL Opening Night is almost as good!), I thought I'd share this little tidbit that I found online.

On this date in 1913:

Guy goes 11 innings for a complete game win and never pitches again in the bigs. Ouch. I couldn't find a reason; either an injury or a really stacked pitching staff.
Hal Schwenk was hit by a streetcar just after leaving the ballpark that night. The streetcar knocked poor Hal 28 feet in the air through a third story window and he landed in the bed of an elderly spinster, Miss Myrna Drozdz. After thanking God and then having her carnal way with the befuddled Mister Schwenk, Miss Drozdz pitched poor Hal back out of her window, whereupon Hal was promptly run over by a Model A Ford and two teams of horses pulling Budweiser wagons. To add insult to injury, Mr. Schwenk was also charged with leaving the scene of an accident for his flight through poor Miss Drozdz' window. Hal never did recover sufficiently from the injuries that he suffered in this unfortunate mishap to be able to continue his baseball career. He died a broken man and he currently lies in an unmarked grave about 7 feet to the left of what is now second base in Busch Stadium.

There are rumors that the evil, misbegotten spawn of Hal Schwenk and Myna Drozdz is currently living somewhere in Illinois, disguised as an avid Cubs fan.

It's true, it's true......