View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

3 college issues from this past weekend

The first is from the V. Tech-E. Carolina game. VT has the ball, lets say 3/5 from the B35 (a guess on the yardage--the exact yardage not important). A1 runs for 2 yards then fumbles. The ball rolls forward about 2 yards forward and is near the sideline. As the ball is about to go out of bounds, B3 bats the ball (in my mind cleary a bat--swung the arm and hit the ball with an open hand). Is this not illegal batting? I have no rooting interest--just curious if that would be the case here...

Also, I was at the Illinois-Missouri game on Sat. Mizzou had the ball 4/6 from about the B32. The FJ, not realizing a FG was to be attempted took position at the sideline, on the goal line (presumable to rule on an upcoming punt). He started late toward the goal posts, but apparetly this threw off Mizzou and they delayed a bit. Then came one of the best (and most honest) announcements from the R: "Missouri will get a new 25 second clock because an official was not in position." I just got a nice little chuckle out of that.

The third is from the Tenn-UCLA game. I think UCLA had the ball, but I could be wrong. Play ends very close to the LTG. Wings make their 'normal' spots (i.e. only come out to about the numbers) and the U spots the ball. A few seconds later one of the wings realizes that this is near a first down. Chains are brought out. Measurement is made based on the U's spotting of the ball (ends up being 'a few links short'). Just reinforces the point that on close plays, the ball should go to one of the wings, and the R should 'take a look.'