View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 11:43am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I didn't see the play in question to have an opinion as to whether it should've been ruled a hit or error. But I hope they don't change the ruling, for a couple of reasons. First, I can't see MLB setting the precedent of reversing a judgement call (whether it's an umpire's call or an official scorer's call), and C.C. didn't have the pressure of pitching in the late innings with a potential no-hitter. I think there's something to going through the late innings with the crowd buzzing, your teammates ignoring you, etc., and he did not have any of that going on. A retroactive no-hitter just wouldn't be the same.
I too thought it was an error, but absolutely concur with your thought process on NOT over-turning the scorer's decision.

Last year I was at a Cards vs Nats game at RFK in DC. Nats pitcher had a no-no going through 8 1/3. As described here - electric atmosphere and very exciting! Then a Cards player hit a clean single - the air went out of the stadium. Next batter up was Albert Pujols who proceeded to hit a ball almost as far as humanly possible (without juice I presume)! A tremendous shot to almost dead center! (next to a blast by Johnny Bench at the Old Veterans Stadium in Phila, I have never seen a ball go so far). The pitcher had the ole "let-down" and loss of concentration for one pitch after losing his no-no bid. It was the last pitch he threw.....he was relieved to a tremendous ovation. Great stuff though!