View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Sounds like the runner in the OP was interferring with F2 trying to tag him. The runner was not trying to advance to home plate and his sole intent was to crash the catcher, who was in the process of fielding the throw. JMO.
You envision the play differently than I do. The reason I asked for the cite from J/R is that I visualize the play as one which would get no call in a MLB game. And I think J/R supports that with the phrase: "......disregards his try to get to a base safely......". I think the runner was clearly trying to reach home plate.

It is a stretch to call this play a "tag attempt". A tag attempt requires the fielder to have the ball in his possession. In the OP, the ball arrives as R2 knocks down the catcher. Think of ARod slapping at the fielder on his way to first-- that's interference with a tag attempt.

ozzy6900, I don't think anyone here is confused by the phrase "offensive interference". It certainly didn't cause me to challenge canadaump6, who is after all only echoing J/R's terminology. In baseball, we have umpire interference, spectator interference, and catcher's interference. None of those are the responsibility of the offense.