Thread: Proper restart
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 01, 2008, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Had a HS tourney yesterday. 4 boys games and 1 girls. Fed rules. I had a first and want your feedback. In game 1 at the whistle for a kick off defending mid runs into the center circle before the ball is touched by the offense. I whistle and call for a rekick. My partner, a grade 6 USSF and IHSA official -- very good, too, I might add -- states that since it was encroachment we would restart with an indirect from the spot of the encroachment. Makes sense, however, I have always just seen the kick retaken from center of the circle. Which is actually the proper restart. I guess thinking about it leads me to go with the IFK at the spot of infraction. Yay or Nay?

You might reconsider your opinion of your partner. He is dead wrong. The correct restart is a kick-off. There is no rule that permits an IFK following an encroachment situation in either NFHS or USSF play on any free kick other than a PK. If play is stopped or prevented from being restarted due to the infraction, the original kick is always retaken.

Your partner completely made up his own ruling in this case. That kind of officiating doesn't deserve your respect and admiration, no matter what his USSF grade or state certification level. Please don't emulate his lack of rules knowledge.