View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 01, 2008, 06:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Guess We Did A Poor Job Emphasizing The Points Of Emphasis ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Reduce rough play? I don't buy it, assuming rough play leads to fouls. I so rarely see a FT rebound foul.
2007-08 NFHS Point Of Emphasis:

2) Free Throws. The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee continues to be concerned about activities surrounding free throws, especially rough play.

A. Rough Play. Keeping the block between the players continues to serve its initial purpose. The same is true for player restrictions ending when the attempt hits the ring. Coaches must not teach players to "lock up" arms along the lane line, nor drive players farther under the basket with brute force. Offensive players in the second position must not be permitted to displace or push the defensive player in the first lane position. In addition, defensive players in the last position should not be permitted to displace the free throw shooter. Fouls must be called for illegal contact and displacement on free throws, just as they would for illegal rebounding activity off of any try.

B. Lane Positioning. There has been much debate on what, if anything, to do with lane positioning on free throws. Some want rules that would players up on the low block or even eliminate the first lane space. The belief is that the players underneath the basket are at a rebounding disadvantage. Data collected from a variety of sources does not support that belief. Multiple studies show players in the first marked lane spaced garner approximately 75-80 percent of all free throws rebounds. That is a range the rules committee finds acceptable and is consistent with historical norms. The team closest to the basket is supposed to get most of the rebounds, not be guaranteed a rebound. The rules in that case are also not designed to give each team an equal chance at securing a rebound.

C. Violations. Players are attempting to gain a rebounding advantage by violating the free throw restrictions and entering the lane early. Officials must review and enforce the rules regarding offensive and defensive free throw violations.

I guess that new data, collected from a greater variety of new sources, and new multiple studies, showed that players in the first marked lane spaced garnered less than 75-80 percent of all free throws rebounds, a range the rules committee finds unacceptable, and inconsistent, with historical norms???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 01, 2008 at 07:07am.