Thread: Elv 12???
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 30, 2008, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier
Oops...new 5 m offside law is only for set piece scrum. Other laws: okay to pull down maul; quick throw-in from touch can now go backwards; no requirement to match-up in lineouts; in line-outs, defensive hooker must stand between touch and 5 m line (old law) but now also must be 2 m in from 5 m line; touch judges have more recognition as game officials and are required to be more interactive with referee; I think there are a few more but I'm drawing a blank...
These are all experimental?

I guess they decided it might not be so dangerous after all to collapse a maul, or at least not so dangerous as not to experiment with allowing it. I'm of 2 minds about that one. You still have someone carrying the ball, seems to make sense s/he'd be subject to tackling, and if everyone around goes down too, that's their problem.

Allowing a quick throw to go backward I like, and I bet referees will love it because they're hardly ever in position to tell if it's straight. If you don't have to match the number or length in the lineout, does that mean there's no use for a short lineout any more? Requiring the opposing thrower-in to be infield of the 5 m, let alone at least 7 m in from touch, seems totally unfair; now the thrower-in is unmarked in case the ball's batted quickly back to hir. Just as unfair as allowing the scrum half of the side with the ball to follow it around to the other side of the scrum and not the opposing scrum half.

If it were up to me there'd be mandatory quick throws in many circumstances, and you'd never have to throw in straight. The whole line-out business is a game-delaying construct that unfortunately now has a big skill set and tactical interest associated with it. Encouraging the quick throw by allowing it to go backward is at least a step in my direction.

Robert