View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 29, 2000, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Touchy subject.

we as officials aren't suppost to treat players different depending on the time or score. However we all know that in a one sided game, sometimes the best thing we can do is to have a hard time picking up a pivot foot or miss a toe on the line.(be aware of which side of the court the team benches are on!) When it come to fouls, to me it doesn't matter who's on the court! Be it number 12 player on the team or a star player i will call all the fouls that i would normally would. Why????

Preventative officiating. By changing your call selection in the game the players, coaches, fans, and others see that you've lost interest in the game and that its open season. Very few officials are able to stay focused in games that have lost its intensity. All it takes is one pass and the players energy level on the court can be raised. This is what we don't what in a 20 point game.

What i will do when its a 20 point game is talk to the players more. This is done because of the players on the court, usually less experienced players who could you the guidence. If i can eliminate calling a foul i will.

Rememer be consistant throughout the whole game.

Keep smiling