Thread: Jericho Scott
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 27, 2008, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
No, ASA would not, but that is because they only deal with Championship play. But your argument is weak as this kid DID have a track record to the point of being recruited, so his abilities should not have been a surprise to anyone. BTW, when it comes to "B", ASA does show a concern as last year they banned any collegiate player from the B ranks.
As information dribbles out, he had more of a track record than was apparent from the first story. He is apparently also rostered in another league on a more advanced team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
And without knowing their by-laws, who is to pass judgment upon their actions? Not you or me.

Do you think the by-laws actually state that any player has a "right" to participate in whatever manner and at what position they determine is proper? If that were so, half the team would have to be allowed to pitch, the other half play outfield and rarely would anyone catch. Then again, you never know if these parents had anything to do with the by-laws, it may just say that, but I doubt it.
True enough. I was just addressing your private business argument. If they are 501(c)(3) they gave up some of their freedom to be arbitrary in exchange for the tax-free status. I would imagine the by-laws do cover the process for changing the rules covering player eligibility. If they do, and if they did not rigorously follow this process (including a paper trail), they may be in deep doo doo if the shyster the parents have hired takes them to court.