Thread: Jericho Scott
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

While I don't agree with the way it was handled, I can understand the request and I do not believe the request is unreasonable. This is, AGAIN, a private group that has every right to run their business as they see fit.

It wasn't like they threw the kid out of the league, they just asked the coach to not pitch him. If they did not want to comply, the league offered to return the parents' money, so there is no effort to cheat anyone out of anything.

I have yet to read one word which denies the accuracy of the league's concern. And, as far as I am concerned, no court has the authority to tell them how to run their league.

OTOH, let's assume this league receives support, financial or otherwise, from the city of New Haven (i.e., public fields, maintenance, etc.). Now, the court does have some say.

Let's assume the court tells the league they must allow the player to pitch. Now the parents refuse to allow their children to participate. What's the judge going to do, order the other children to stand in the batter's box against this kid?

If common sense prevailed, which IMO so far it hasn't, the kid's parents would explain to their son he has a helluva gift which raises his level of play above that of the rest of the league. They would TELL the coach he is to play whatever other position is available and while this season winds down, would be looking for a higher level of ball for their son to play next season.

Of course, the alternative is the ruination of a recreational league and an obvious loss to the community and it's youth.

But sometimes you just have to offer up the good of the community for the egos of some idiot parents.