View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Since the umpire's authority extends to the time they leave the field, your brother could have ejected the coach. (See Dakota's post for the rule reference)

The point would be that the coach would then be on the hook for the fine and learn that just because the game is over, does not give him/her the right to spout off at the umpires.

Would I have ejected for a comment like that as I was leaving the field....probably not...but that's my opinion.
I think we can all agree that it would still depend. If an adult said that to me in a private conversation, I suspect I would have a similar response. Something like I would, as soon as heard him apologize to his athletic director for taking their money to coach the team that way. Then we would discover if he understood the ignorance of his remark, and how it felt.

If he said it loud enough that anyone overheard it, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to eject. He's a teacher, and he's teaching unsportmanlike behavior; said loud enough, it was clearly an attempt to incite a response from his team, parents, and fans.