View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 16, 2002, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
We can get out of arguments using this rule by saying "Bob, he got him on the hand, which is part of the ball" if we have a no call on a strip play. Or when coaches question why we had a foul we need to make sure we do not say "Bob, he got him on the hand" because they know this is not a foul and I have seen them go off on rookies who make that comment.
Eli, I hate to assume, but I believe the reaction was not to your interpretation but to your wording.

When you boil it down, there is no clause in the rule book which states, verbatim, "the hand is part of the ball." If there were, we would be in big trouble. (Would it be a dribble if the player palmed the ball and "bounced" the back of his hand on the floor? BI would nearly be a non-issue, because only the ball is in the cylinder.)

I look at this similarly to a shout of "over the back!" from a coach or fan - yes, there is a foul at times, but not because A1 reached over B4.