Thread: traveling
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 10:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
It's hard to come to a conclusion because so many are not called. I had no trouble seeing the violation live, yet there was no whistle. In the final there were several as well. Saw Lebron James travel on both ends of his drive. So what else is new? I was asking if anybody here says to himself something to the effect "I'm sure he moved both feet, BUT I couldn't see exactly what happened so I was not comfortable making the call."
I really do not know why it is so hard to understand. Traveling is the most inconsistently called violation in all of basketball. It is also the most misunderstood by fans, coaches, players and officials. A lot of times people want a call and we call things that look funny. As a general rule I try my best not to call something that did not happen. I know I miss calls or think to myself that did not look right. But I would rather call the obvious travel, then the technical travel that no one saw. Maybe these officials had a similar take on these calls. I would also suspect that many of these officials have not seen players all over the place with this kind of speed and quickness. I know I have gotten much better at being consistent, but even sometimes I miss travels. It happens and not all misses are contentious or based on a philosophy. Sometimes we just miss them. The biggest problem is we buy into missed calls at the NBA level, and we forget to look at other levels and see if we miss the same things.

Peace