View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 09:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mood Risin
Smitty, kook at what Forksref and Careyy said. careyy spells out a time when a whistle would be appropriate, and Forksref said the U will rarely blow the whistle. He didn't say the U will never blow the whistle.

I agree that for a U, the voice is the whistle.

In the original play, the defender piled on a kid on the ground. Would your whistle have supplied some shielding force to the ball carrier? no. A late hit is a late hit. The whistle has nothng to do with it. It's never legal to pile on to a player on the ground -- live ball included. So if you see it, flag it for a late hit and don't listen to nonsense about playing to the whistle. That's bad advice because the whistle almost always comes well after the ball is already dead.
Those are coach words, and should be ignored. It doesn't mean we should have a quicker whistle. I want slow, slow whistles.

I drill that into my crew members. My crew, in its present form, hasn't had an IW. A former crew member had our last one over 3 years ago. I'm not saying we'll never have another, but we've had a lot of option teams and we've been very good at this aspect of officiating.