View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

The visiting team and coach are more paranoid than the home team. They are usually travel weary, have had the fans jeering them since warmups, and now have 3 officials that the coach has never seen work before......

Unfortunately, there is some truth to the "hometown cooking" syndrome. I once had an official tell me he called his block/charges for the hometeam because he had them 3 more times on the schedule. This is wrong......... however, the majority of officials are fair and this guy's career will never progress from where he's at.

Even at the collegiate level, there is jockeying going on. North Carolina played BYU in a tournament last year in Vegas and wouldn't play with the Mountain West officials (who normally work BYU games) and so a Pac-10 crew was brought in last minute.

So, I try really hard not to do anything to fuel any perception of unfairness. One thing I try to do is never spend more time with a home coach during introductions. That is a sure way to start building a negative perception.