View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 07:55pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk
Thought I'd run this play from last night by everyone to see what we think:

Late in 4th Q, team A is out of TOs. Team A brings ball in after made basket and I am the new trail (2 man).

A1 takes 2 dribbles, stops and turns to me signalling a time out and verbally requesting time out. We are the only two in the backcourt and I have no idea why he asked for a TO, but hey, I ain't playin', so I grant the time out. As I hit the whistle, A1 starts begging off saying "no, no, no".

It's a close game and the kid just had a brain cramp. I had to give the TO, everyone in the gym heard and saw him ask for it. I also had to hit the team with a "T" for excessive TOs. Coach was more ticked at the player and I told him that I didn't really have a choice and he didn't give me any grief. If it matters, it was a boys 12U summer league game.

How do we all handle the on court requests for TOs they don't have? Does the time and score of the game matter?

Thanks

Z
On blow out, I tend to mis-hear these requests - by either team. In a close game, I call it every time. Playing smart is just as important as playing hard; the kid learned that this game. In the end, it's 12U - no NCAA scholarships are at stake (I think). He probably won't even remember this game 2 weeks from now.

As for handling it, you grant it just like any other request, and stick to your guns if people moan and groan. Like I said, if it's a blow out, conveniently be looking at the fans, clock, your P, etc... so that they have that second it takes them to recall that they don't want one.