View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 08:42am
MABO Member

This is a great philosophy that I follow as well. I also add as a joke, depending on the crew and game atmosphere, I don't mind if they forget to stop the clock now and then but never, never forget to start it! This tends to reduce the fear of making a mistake because they realize we can handle small mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Depends on how well I know the table crew.

I've had some table crews where I don't worry about them at all - they can handle *everything*, including coaches that bug them.

If I think the timer is inexperienced, I remind him/her that if they start it when my arm comes down, then it can never be his fault, and if there is a problem, such as the coaches being angry, it is always "our" fault.

If it is a close game, I go to the table during a TO or a FT where there is around 3 minutes left, and remind them that if anything will cause problems, it is the time not stopping or starting at the right time. I also might say that at times like these (close games), the people that keep the glue together at the end of the game are "you guys". I think it's true, too.

If the timer's ability is sketchy, then I give him/her a second, then yell to start the clock, then if after a couple it's still not going, I blow it dead and take a few seconds off. I try, when possible, to blow the play dead when A, on a full-court dribble, has the ball such that the ensuing throw-in will not be on the endline. That way A feels that they did obtain some real estate at the cost of the time coming off the clock.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.