View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Good morning Larry and the rest of the world. Message from Holland...

I think Larry is close enough in his explanation about languages:
Let me see:
Nederland translated to german will be Niederlände, to french: les Pays Bas and in english the Netherlands. Just as we talk about Japan, while they (the japanese) tald about Ippon. Germany is called in German "Deutschland". In dutch it's "Duitsland".
I think every nation should have the nation-name in their own language written on their uniform. So we have "Nederland" on our shirt...

The choise for orange is indeed from our royal family. It's the House of Orange; a city in France. The colour orange, in dutch will be "oranje". We use that colour always in our patriotic expressions. Think about the world or european championships soccer (voetbal) when the stadiums will be orange with our fans...

Many places in the USA have names referreing to places in Europe. New York is from the english town York. It got that name after Peter Stuivesant traded New Amsterdam with the english for Suriname. Wall Street was original Waal Straat; the Waal is a dutch river. Harlem in NY is referring to the dutch city Haarlem. I'm not wondering there is a HS-team called Nederland.
I did however seeing the topic about that team track it down. I was thinking it was a topic about our national team... Whiskers got me confused months ago...

I hope you all are enjoying the games. The dutch team already lost 3 games. Many, overhere, are talking about the dutch softballteam shouldn't be in China. They're losing everything... The dutch are seeded 8th, 9th or 19th in the world ranking and won the Olympic Qualifier. So they have a right to be there and will lose everything... They have to get better, just as the rest of the world, in order to brake the USA-hegemony.

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?