View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 07:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Yup - I've been reading all along, so I know that 5-man is the topic.

In Cdn ball, there aren't many fake FGA. I see about 2 to 3 a year, tops. IOW, the majority of the time, FGAs do become FGAs. I was just commenting that I think one guy under the uprights is a rather easy call. I start in the middle and then move to the upright that is threatened. Since I do start in the middle, I move at most 5 yards, which takes way less than the time it takes for the ball to reach the uprights.

But I do agree with you, too: if you have the people, put two under the uprights.
I do not know that fake field goals are unique in the United States. I do not know if I see even 2 or 3 a year personally. I see more bad snaps that lead to no kick than a fake that I can remember. But I do run into a few very good kickers that have D1 talent. And based on the configuration of many uprights which are not always the NFL or College style uprights with the soccer hybrid, it can be difficult to get into a really good position if one of the uprights is threatened. It is not the end of the world, but I would hate to have a game decided with a close FG and not have two officials in already good position to make the call. I will say this since this mechanic was instituted; I have yet to have a FG where we had to only have the BJ at the uprights alone. I just feel if we could sacrifice some sideline coverage for points. Maybe because this situation is rare, is the reason they have the mechanic. Oh well, life goes on.

Peace