View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 01:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
Looking for some opinions/guidance on showing the 10-second count (I am relatively new to basketball officiating). When I first started, I counted all 10 seconds with individual arm movements - and did the same on my 5-second inbounds count. Then had a supervisor tell me that it looks stupid with my arm moving back and forth that fast and to switch to an out (1 second) and in (1 second) motion.

I've tried doing that but it feels strange - especially on the 5-second. Yet when I go back to my old method and try not to move fast, I find my 10-second count is closer to 12-13.

Any tips? And do you always start a 10-second visible count when the ball is in backcourt, or do you keep it in your head unless there is defensive pressure or you get to 6 or 7 and the ball hasn't crossed yet?

Thanks!
  1. Your supervisor's wrong. It doesn't look stupid, it looks accurate.
  2. Always show a visible count!
True story: I'm coaching in a provincial semi and the Trail wasn't using a visible count. This was the first year that coaches could request timeouts. My PG wasn't near half when 8 seconds had gone by (clock was my proof) and I requested a TO to prevent the violation. Tweet - 10 second violation. I asked him how he knew that there was a 10 second violation if he wasn't counting. He replied "I was counting". "No you weren't: you didn't have a visible count". "I'm not required to." You can imagine how that sits with any coach. Then I asked him how it could be 10s violation if only 8 seconds came off the clock? Another blank stare.

Practice your visible count, be accurate, and always show a visible count.

Imo, never be less than 10, but aim on the side of too long than too quick. Between 10 and 11 is best.