View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 03:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
My supervisors have suggested that we not use a bird dog. Maybe there are different philosophies, but I do what my bosses want.

To say it is a widely used signal is a bit of an exaggeration unless your reference to college baskeball is on ESPN classic.
That is your supervisor that feels that way, but that does not apply across the board. I attended multiple college camps this summer alone with people I do not work for and in the past with people I do work for and it is I was never told not to bird-dog and never heard anyone told not to bird-dog. I know I did it several times during camp and I did not hear a single word about it either way. And bird-dogging is in the CCA Mechanics book which a few of the camps wanted us to use almost religiously when it came to signal mechanics.

Now if you have never seen bird-dogging, either you do not watch college basketball on a regular basis (like this past NCAA Tournament or Championship game) or you are only thinking of what was used years ago. But it was used often enough where I noticed it and by some of the top officials in the country on the Men's side. Women's basketball is different and I cannot speak for that side of the game. I can think of two Final Four Officials that used the bird-dog in the Final Four this year.

Peace